Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rumor's first week.




I brought Rumor to get her stitches out this morning. She was a very good patient (such a brave girl :) I think you can tell by the pictures above, the scar is barely visible (and it blends in perfectly with her brindle pattern.)

Rumor is one curious greyhound :)
She flits about, like a butterfly (albeit a 58 pound butterfly). She is constantly checking out EVERY inch of her surroundings. No worries though, because she's not really much of a thief. She did pull one shirt out of the laundry room this morning, but didn't actually "chew" on it. I was a little concerned when she showed a fair amount of interest in my shoes (but I guess she is just a typical girl who loves shoes), since again, no damage- so far all her chewing has been restricted to Greenies and stuffed Kongs :)- Such a good girl!
She is also unique, in that she is really NOT food motivated!
The first few days she was here, she refused to eat any of her breakfast at all (though she happily polished off her dinner). We tried more water, less water, and feeding her later in the morning- all to no avail. The addition of a LITTLE bit of plain grilled chicken with her rice and kibble completely turned her around ( I guess we will need to wean her off that too).
We are making good head way in convincing her that she does not belong on the family room couch, though she does give us a really good "your not actually serious about this are you?" look. I find it curious that of the 3 foster greyhounds we have had stay with us, she is the first one pick up on the habit simply by watching the resident hounds. I assure you no one "invited' her on the couch. She simply decided on her own that it looked cosier than the dog beds- and that jumping up did NOT look too difficult or scary. ( Unlike Hero, who at first acted like he was climbing Mount Everest.)
Climbing seems to be in her blood.
She took the 4 steps up to our deck without any hesitation (like she had been doing it all her life).
The first time Alaina and I tried to lure her up the inside stairs she flat out refused to move her feet at all- but then today she decided to climb them completely on her own :)
She has improved quite a bit on leash, and will pretty much heel now (unless she sees a squirrel :).
She has lovely manners when greeting most other dogs, though there were two "yappy" smaller dogs that set her to whining and trembling. Since she did not lunge like with squirrels we are still unsure whether the whining and trembling were a sign of fear or excitement.
Finally,
She has not had one single accident in the house since she arrived (I hope I haven't jinxed us!)

2 comments:

genji said...

A very pretty girl with a great personality and smart enough to keep out of trouble. Look forward to hearing more of her adventures.

Ann said...

I love the coloration on her face! Very cool. My dog is lunging at squirrels to the point of giving me 'tennis elbow' from walking her! Sheesh.

I posted my pumpkin recipe!